Exceptional appearance and easy maintenance wood finish for the Marine Environment. (pronounced “Decks Olya”)
What does it do?
Is owning your boat a love/hate relationship because of the work involved in keeping it looking good? It doesn’t have to be. Stripping back to bare wood after only a few seasons isn’t necessary when you use Deks Olje Marine Wood Finish. When properly applied, DeksOlje is easier to care for than any other finish on the market. Its powerful penetrating oils go far beneath the surface. Other finishes deteriorate because water gets beneath the surface. THIS CAN’T HAPPEN WITH DEKS OLJE. DeksOlje weathers, but does not lift. So seasonal touch-up is easy. Recovery is like new. You also have the option of a matte or gloss finish. The secret of success is in following the unique application instructions. Don’t confuse DeksOlje with conventional teak oils or varnish. It is neither.
Which DeksOlje to use?
DeksOlje is the easiest to maintain finish afloat for teak and other boating woods or any exterior hard wood for that matter. DeksOlje is availble in a matte (DeksOlje#l) or gloss (Deks Olje#2) finish and both will give years of service with NO STRIPPING back to bare wood. Touch-up applications on worn spots are all that’s necessary to maintain this finish. Even if wood is badly neglected, a good cleaning with Dekswood and a reapplication will restore the original brightness of the finish. The fantastic recovery power of DeksOlje has been put to the test for more than 50 years in Scandinavia. Timber left untreated in a marine environment such as this teak companionway hatch will become grey and unslightly. The wood grains attract dirt and mildew and spoil the appearance and quality of the boat. Regular applications of DeksOlje will give wood surfaces a deep rich colour that stands up to the harsh marine environment and protects your valuable asset.
Surface preparation – old wood
* Remove old finish completely.
* Neutralize any strippers or bleaches and lightly sand surface.
Surface preparation – new wood
* Lightly sand wood.
* Remove oils from wood with a liberal application of Dekswood or Methylated Spirit.
* Lightly sand wood again.
NB *All wood must be dry before applying Deks Olje No1
* Apply by brush or roller. A foam brush can be used on small surfaces.
* Apply one coat every fifteen minutes. As one coat is absorbed, apply another. Do not allow to dry between coats.
* When the surface can absorb no more, brush the material several times. If it still stands on the surface, wipe up all excess with a rag which is slightly damp with DeksOlje #1. If it does not stand on the surface after brushing, apply more DeksOlje #1.
* When no more can be absorbed, wipe up all excess as described in step 3. You are now finished with DeksOlje #I.
* A proper DeksOlje #1 application should require many coats over at least a six-hour time period.
* Allow three days before putting into service or finishing with DeksOlje #2.
* Wash all dirty surfaces with Dekswood, rinse and allow to dry.
* Lightly sand worn or abraded areas.
* Apply one or two coats of DeksOlje #1 to affected areas.
* Between touch-ups, wash DeksOlje #1 treated surfaces as often as possible with fresh water.
* NO NEED to remove the original DeksOije #1.
NOTE: If the surface looks mottled or splotchy after cleaning and sanding, DeksOlje #1 will still restore the appearance, but a few coats may be needed on the driest areas. Again, do not leave any DeksOije #1 puddled on the surface.
Depends on the porosity of the wood surface. Coverage on very porous wood could be as low as 2 square metres per litre.
DeksOlje #1 will stain metal fittings and fiberglass. Be sure to clean these surfaces before it dries. If DeksOije #1 has dried on fiberglass, it can be removed with any paint remover formulated for use on fiberglass.